Indonesians like to call it ‘Brokus’ – a shortened version for Brownies Kukus and as you might have guessed Kukus means steamed. I’m not sure why people call it brownies because Brokus is basically a steamed chocolate cake. But hey, it tastes pretty awesome, so who cares?!
The recipe calls for beating egg white until stiff peaks are formed. Beating egg white, although seems straightforward, requires some serious attention. Otherwise, the foam formed may collapse, and the egg white mixture will have to go to the drain.
1. Make sure the bowl and the beaters are clean (free of oil) and dry.
2. When separating the egg whites, make sure that no yolk goes into the whites.
I accidentally had a bit of yolk in the whites, and it eventually made the egg white foam collapse, turning the mixture to be liquidy instead of foamy.
3. Let the egg whites to sit at room temperature for a while, and better yet, just let it age for several hours.
4. Add the salt into the whites and beat it for 2 minutes using a hand mixer at medium speed.
5. Add acid (e.g. lemon juice) or cream of tartar to stabilize the foam and beat for 2 minutes at high speed. (I actually omitted this, but I had to work quickly for the rest of the steps).
6. Add sugar and beat it for 30 seconds
If you follow the steps above, I can assure you that your egg white foam will be in prime condition.
Brownies Kukus Recipe
- 4 large egg whites (around 150 g)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 175 g caster sugar (I prefer it to be less because 175 g is still too sweet for me)
- 100 g margarine or butter
- 50 g dark chocolate
- 125 g flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 25 g of toasted almond slices
- Melt the chocolate and margarine using a stove with low heat or microwave.
- Sift the flour together with the baking powder.
- Beat the egg whites and salt. Add the sugar at the end of the beating process.
- Fold in the flour into the egg white mixture. Finally, mix in the chocolate mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a square pan layered with parchment paper. Sprinkle the toasted almond slices on top.
- Steam using medium heat for 15 minutes.